Friday, 26 September 2014

My favourite danish - the Topfengolatsche!

I am now officially a very happy person. Being an Expat, there are, at least for me, always a few foods that I miss from the various places I call home, and crave particularly once I am not living there anymore. Absence makes the heart grow fonder! 

How pleased was I then that our supermarket has started making my all-time favourite Austrian danish, that is difficult to find the way I like it even in Vienna now-a-days, 


the Topfengolatsche! 




I am not sure how to explain the pronunciation, but it could be called similar to 'top fengo late' with a 'ch' at the end. If anyone can come up with words that fit those sounds better, please let me know!

How thrilling to discover, amongst the huge range of bakery goods in our supermarket, my lovely dessert masquerading under the German name 'Quarktasche' (I won't bother trying to get the pronunciation of this one, it is even harder than Topfengolatsche!)! I was even more pleased when I got home and discovered there were no raisins in the filling, the dough was right and the filling tasted just right - no pudding mixed in (like many similar things here), plenty of curd cheese, and not too much sugar! Lovely! 



The Austrian word Golatsche, or Kolatsche, comes originally from the Czech Kolaҫ, which in the Czech Republic used to describe a cake given to newly-weds, and now refers to a round open sweet pastry filled with either poppy seeds, raisins, nuts, curd cheese, plum jam..... 

In Austria, and particularly Vienna, Topfengolatschen are square, and closed, like the one pictured above, and mostly filled with a mix of curd cheese called Topfen in Austria and Quark in Germany, sugar, eggs, lemon peel, a bit of vanilla and, in some cases, a bit of rum. Recipes for this pastry have appeared in Austrian cookbooks since the 17th century. In the 18th century, the Golatsche found its way to Denmark, where it was known as Wienerbröd (Viennese bread), and from where it made its way to the USA and became known as danish or Viennese danish. 

As you can see from the lovely pictures, I do not need to bake any of these at home at the moment, but for those who are not so lucky as to have a friendly supermarket making them nearby, here are some of the recipes I found (in German 1, in English, in German 2). If you try them out, let me know what you think! 


Bon Apétit! 


PS: In dem Artikel geht es um meine Entdeckung der Woche, die wunderbaren Topfengolatschen bei meinem Supermarkt! 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Topfengolatschen are good for the soul, with or without raisins; 'way to go, Cary!

    ReplyDelete