Tuesday, 25 February 2014

Health care

Not a simple topic anywhere, and I am sure there will be many points I miss but it has been preying on my mind today, so here goes. 

As many of you know, and for those new to this particular part of the webworld, we live in Germany, Hamburg, to be exact, and have recently had Baby. Actually - I am a bad Mom, aren't I, for not mentioning this! - it is Baby's five-month Birthday today! Yeah!

And we still can't get over the amazing care we have received here. I'm not saying I am not used to a working health system - mostly working for the patients still, thank goodness - from growing up in Vienna, but some of the things we have experienced here really bring home the point of how important babies have become here, at least in our view. 

I lost track of the number of check-ups we had, where not only the doctor but also our midwife took care of us. All my prescriptions were fee-free for anything related to supporting my good health during the pregnancy, including the super modern doo-da for checking my blood sugar. Even for someone like me, who faints at the thought of blood, this made the daily checking bearable. 

Our midwife came to our home after the birth - unheard of even in Austria!! And apparently in danger through a new rule affecting self-employed midwives - not good!

And all the medical care and prescriptions for Baby have been easy and care free. There are regular check-ups planned for us from the day of Baby's birth through to Teenagerdom! 

We are so grateful to be so well taken care of. This was particularly highlighted this morning, while I was watching a report on BBC about infant mortality, stating that still, over the world, 1 million infants do not survive their first 24 hours. Now call me a weepy Mom if you are not affected by this, but it really got to me. The reporter was in South Sudan where there are 300 midwives for millions of mothers and clinics are so few and far between that when mothers get in trouble they mostly cannot reach them, as transport is rare as well. Imagine having to walk for three days while in labour in order to reach a clinic, only to find out that there was a problem and your baby would not live. 

We are spending this evening in great thankfulness for the support we have and for living where we do, and our thoughts are with those not as lucky as us.  

PS: Heute geht es darum, wie dankbar wir sind für die tolle Versorgung für werdende und junge Familien in Deutschland und wie sehr der heutige Bericht über Säuglingssterblichkeit im BBC mich berührt hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment